Thursday, January 5, 2012

zebra cake

So, it begins with this zebra cheesecake I found on Pinterest.
Zebra Cheesecake *this is where the pin leads to*


At first I was entranced by its "zebraness" and immediately decided I NEEEEDED THIS! Then I read the recipe. This very talented woman handmakes fancy things like Japanese cheesecake. I just scrolled until she showed me how to do the zebra.  So I will show you the DC (domestically challenged) way to make a zebra cake.

I decided to use Pillsbury white cake and Pillsbury devil's food cake (which are my favorites and I figured would show stripes the best). I mixed my cakes just like the box said and had some cupcake tins standing by for extra.
I used baking spray on my springform pan to prevent sticking. Next to add batter.  The cheesecake recipe said to use about three tablespoons of batter at a time.

Start with first batter in the center of your pan. I used a ladle in the beginning but as you go it seems easier to do separate spoonfuls. Let the batter spread some then add your next in the center.
Now, being DC, I was trying to scoop meticulously and carefully (ie slow) and so it wasn't centered and it was taking FOREVER. Here's where I thank my mom, who came in and just sloppily scooped in batter finishing it up before the end of next week! lol (the picture above is where I stopped) In the end, if you look close, the center looks better than the outside, meaning her technique worked.  So moral? Don't worry about being all neat.

And out of the oven! (I have you know my mother was very anxious to remove the sides of the springform and cut the cake...I swear it wasn't be being impatient!) Cutting this cake is as exciting as opening presents on Christmas day.

Success! Now, I guess this cake could be iced. I had some icing standing by in case it looked really bad, but it really didn't need it.  I did have enough left over batter to make about a dozen cupcakes.  I dabbled just slightly with the cherry coke cupcakes. I plan to revisit those soon, so I'm saving the link for then.

No comments:

Post a Comment